Tuesday, June 15, 2010

EMPLOYED!


Hello All!
So so sorry for the long delay! Much has happened since the last time I blogged but because things have been so busy I haven't found time to get on here and write something significant haha. After blogging last time, I continued my search for a job. Going into week 3 jobless was a little disheartening. We began the week by taking the staff out with us to help look and provide morale. God provided some encouragement when I walked into a Firehouse Sub shop and was offered a job on the spot! The manager was willing to hire me but could only give me about 10 hours a week, and since this place was 30-35 minutes away, it just wasn't practical, so we continued looking. Later that same day, some other people on project hit a lead at a place called "Celebration Station", which for those of you who are unfamiliar, it's basically like an Adventure Landing. A handful of us filled out applications and received calls a day or so later to schedule interviews. I had my interview last Friday and was called later that night and offered the job!! They were not able to hire as many of us as they had originally said, but they did give 6 of us jobs! Although I am so thankful and excited to be employed, it was/is pretty bittersweet because some there are still a few of my friends here without jobs (but I heard good news recently that they may have jobs!) We began last week with 24 students who still needed jobs and as of today almost all of us are employed or close to being employed!
I can't even begin to express how much of a learning experience project has been so far! Job searching definitely has taught me a lot! My priorities were misconstrued for the first 2 weeks or so, and sadly I lost track of WHY I was looking for a job. I was concerning myself too much with the money side of things, then it turned into a pride issue of just wanting to make myself look good enough to be hired and make myself look good to others. I really had to re-focus and remember that my job was not for MY purposes but for God's. God has definitely placed me somewhere I never imagined working this summer, but I am pretty excited! The lady who hired us decided to place me and my friend Aaron (who goes to State) working with GO KARTS! She said that they usually have employees work up to the go kart position but since we were already in college she decided to move us on up! So today was the first day of training and it went really well! Thank you all for the continued prayers and encouraging words!
Hmm let's see, other exciting things on summer project...
A few of us decided a couple weeks ago to declare Friday night as "Fat Friday" haha! It quickly caught on and has gained in popularity. It typically consists of buying pizzas from a cheap pizza place up the street who has a deal for a large pizza and 2 liter drink for 6 bucks! So everyone finds a friend to split a pizza with and then stuffs down a half a pizza! Pizza is usually followed by a Krispy Kreme run or some other form of dessert haha!
This past Saturday we had beach evangelism again and it went pretty well! We changed it up this Saturday and put up "posters" by the pier that people could come write on freely with their thoughts about things like God, Love, and the purpose of life. It went pretty well and a few people were able to get into some good conversations with people!
Also, each Saturday, our community team puts together a social activity at night. This past Saturday, they decided to put on a Dance Party! The theme was Pirates and Ninjas so everyone had to dress up as one or the other (or a random homeless man--Christopher haha)! A group of us decided to put a twist on the idea and dress up as the Ninja Turtles! Aaron Adams, Kristy Echstenkamper, Alison Furr, Nicole Wanke, and I stayed up until 3am the night before putting together our costumes and they were pretty legit if I do say so myself! The community team did an AMAZING job putting together the party and it turned out great! Everyone had great costumes including another group costume of "Pi-Rats" headed up by Eliza, Jenna, and Kourtney! We all danced for a solid 3 and a half to 4 hours! Talk about burning off Fat Friday! To say the least, everyone had a great time dancing the night away!
That's the only activities that I can remember for right now, but I did want to share something that has been on my mind/heart for the past week. Tuesday nights are "Reflection Night" where all of the students take time to be alone with God and reflect on what we have been learning and study ahead for things in the coming week. Last Tuesday, for a portion of my time I listened to a sermon by Francis Chan (which you can download/listen to for free on his church's website). In his message he mentioned that often times people will ask him what his favorite Bible verse is; He said that he usually responds with James 5:17. When he said this I was a little confused because I had NO idea what verse he was referring to. He goes on to quote the verse and explain. Here's the verse:
"Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years."
He went on to explain how powerful this verse should be to Christians. It simply says that ELIJAH, was a man just like US! How crazy is that?! I have never imagined being on the same "level" as ELIJAH! But Chan went on to explain that We serve the same God as Elijah, and since God is unchanging, the same power that was in Elijah, is with us today!! I still haven't completely grasped this thought/idea, but it has been so encouraging to know that kind of power lives in us today and it's incredible to think of what things are possible with that power!
Anyways, I have been in the lounge for the past hour or so writing this and we have a group picture to take soon, as well as some left-over pasta in the fridge that is calling my name haha! Thanks for reading and thanks for all of the continued prayers! The King is on the move!

3 comments:

  1. hope tonight was an equally insightful reflection time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get that pasta. and praise the Lord for a job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SAWEEEET! Celebration Station! enjoy the kiddos. so glad you got the job. I'll be praying you're able to build some new relationships there!

    ReplyDelete